34 Non-COVID Leave of Absence Scenarios
and How to Handle Them
presented by Jonathan Fraser Light, Esq.
This presentation considers 34 scenarios involving employee leaves of absence, drawn from real life experiences by employment law attorneys. We will cover multiple issues raised by each of these scenarios, including:
- The employee who repeatedly provides a doctor's note just before being scheduled to return to work;
- How to find a replacement without getting sued;
- How long an employer must hold a position;
- The interaction of multiple leave laws during pregnancy and related baby bonding;
- Strategies for warning or disciplining employees who have gone on or are about to return from leave;
- Strategies for encouraging poorly performing employees not to return;
- Handling return to work issues when employees continue to be disabled; and
- The documentation necessary to support the actions taken by the employer.
The presentation will also address the application of the ADA and related state law as they interact with other state and federal leave laws.
Why attend this webinar?
- Learn effective ways to deal with abuse of leave;
- Get clarity on the administration of benefits during leaves;
- Identify what can be done when a leave has been exhausted;
- Learn what you should include (and exclude) in your policies;
- Discover unknown trouble areas in leaves administration; and
- Gain a better understanding of best practices.
Jonathan Fraser Light, Esq., Managing Attorney, LightGabler
Jonathan Fraser Light, managing attorney at LightGabler, has more than 30 years of experience in the field of employment law. He is AV¬ rated by Martindale Hubbell and has been named as one of Southern California's "Super Lawyers" for 15 years. Mr. Light and his team members consult with over 1,500 companies throughout California in the private and public sector on their day-to-day employment law needs. He offers employment counsel and training programs to companies of all sizes to reduce liability and protect against lawsuits.
Mr. Light frequently speaks to employer and human resources groups on topics such as avoiding sexual harassment claims, wage and hour issues, business and employment law pitfalls, diversity in the workplace, supervisor strategies, employment law updates, and preparing employee handbooks. He is the author of the nationally acclaimed and award-winning book, The Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball, Second Edition, published in 2005. Mr. Light is a graduate of the UCLA School of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review. He graduated magna cum laude in history from UCLA, and is a graduate of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
This program is valid for 1.0 PDC for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
Professionals In Human Resources Association (PIHRA) is recognized by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM.
This program has been submitted to the HR Certification Institute (HRCI) for review.
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute's criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
Online registration stays open up till the time webinar starts.
There will be a 50% administration fee for any cancellations. If you need to cancel, we must receive it in writing (email or fax) 2 business days prior to the event during normal business hours. Refunds will not be given to no-shows. Credits will not be issued for use towards future PIHRA events.
Registration and attendance at, or participation in, PIHRA programs and other activities constitutes an agreement by the registrant to our use and distribution (both now and in the future) of the attendee's image or voice in photographs, videotapes, electronic reproductions and audiotapes of such programs and activities. By registering, you agree to have your contact information shared with the sponsors and presenters of the event. You will have the option to opt-out of communications received.